People tend to think it’s only older pets that get ill and therefore younger pets don’t need pet insurance but we know from the patients we see each day that this is not the case.
In fact, the younger your pet is when you insure them the better as it means they are less likely to have any existing conditions which may not be covered by the policy and you can therefore receive more help covering the cost of any future treatment your pet needs.
It is important to note that not all pet insurance is the same. There are many different types of policies available and the level of cover provided can vary considerably. The four main types of policy are as follows:
- Accident : provides cover for accidents only and no cover for illness
- Time-Limited: provides cover for a set amount of time (usually 12 months) and after this period the condition is excluded
- Maximum Benefit : provides cover up to a maximum amount of money per condition and once this limit is reached the condition is excluded
- Lifetime: provides a set amount of money each year which is refreshed each time you renew your policy allowing you to continue to claim for ongoing conditions
As you can see from the information above, the type of policy you choose can have implications for the veterinary care of your pet and the costs you will face so it’s important to choose the right cover. Sometimes the cheapest insurance can cost you more in the long run. When shopping around for a policy we suggest that you ask the following questions to allow you to compare the overall value you are getting and not just the price:
- Does this policy cover congenital, hereditary, hip-related, dental and behavioural conditions?
- Is there a time or monetary limit on how long this policy will cover ongoing conditions for?
- If I claim will my premium increase?
Unlike other forms of insurance it is not easy to switch pet insurance in the future as any pre-existing conditions your pet has are likely to be excluded so it’s important to do your research and choose the right cover from the start.
We offer a Direct Claim service whereby payment is made directly to us via your insurance company.
The requirements for Direct Claims are as follows:
3 fully completed and signed claims forms have been provided
A copy of your current insurance policy has been received
Permission has been given to your insurance company for us to speak to them directly
You have signed a copy of our agreement stating any costs not covered by your insurance company will be paid by you
A Direct Claim fee is paid (this is payable per condition, per policy year)
Our Direct Claim fee does not apply to members on our Healthcare Plan who are on a Cat + or Dog + plan. For more information on our plans, please click here.
Direct claims are at the discretion of the practice and we are entitled to refuse a Direct Claim
83 Town Lane,
Cheshire WA16 7HH
Tel: 01565 872035
Regency Way, Northwich,
Cheshire CW9 8UW
Tel: 01606 810777
Mon: 8.30am – 6.30pm
Tue: 8.30am – 6.30pm (7.30pm at Northwich)
Wed: 8.30am – 6.30pm
Thur: 8.30am – 6.30pm (7.30pm at Mobberley)
Fri: 8.30am – 6.30pm
Sat: 9.00am – 12.30pm Northwich
Sun: 9.00am – 12.30pm Mobberley