It’s a myth that only older pets get ill and younger pets don’t need pet insurance! We know from the patients we see each day that this is simply not the case.
In fact, the younger your pet is when you insure them the better as it means they are less likely to have any existing conditions which may not be covered by the policy and you can therefore receive more help covering the cost of any future treatment your pet needs.
It is important to note that not all pet insurance is the same. There are many different types of policies available and the level of cover provided can vary considerably.
There are four main types of Pet Insurance policy:
It’s important to choose the right cover!
The type of policy you choose can have implications for the veterinary care of your pet and the costs you will face so it’s important to choose the right cover. Sometimes the cheapest insurance can cost you more in the long run.
Also, unlike other forms of insurance it is not easy to switch pet insurance in the future as any pre-existing conditions your pet has are likely to be excluded from any new policy. Therefore it’s important to do your research and choose the right cover from the start to avoid complications later on.
When considering pet insurance ask the following questions so that you can compare the overall value of your policy and not just the price:
- Does this policy cover congenital, hereditary, hip-related, dental and behavioural conditions?
- Is there a time or monetary limit on how long this policy will cover ongoing conditions for?
- If I claim will my premium increase?
We offer a Direct Claim service whereby payment is made directly to us via your insurance company. The requirements for Direct Claims are as follows:
- 3 fully completed and signed claims forms have been provided
- A copy of your current insurance policy has been received
- Permission has been given to your insurance company for us to speak to them directly
- You have signed a copy of our agreement stating any costs not covered by your insurance company will be paid by you
- A Direct Claim fee is paid (this is payable per condition, per policy year)
- Our Direct Claim fee does not apply to members on our Healthcare Plan who are on a Cat Plus or Dog Plus plan.
- Direct claims are at the discretion of the practice and we are entitled to refuse a Direct Claim